Code of Conduct
The Courtyard Playhouse is committed, in attaining its purposes, to:
- supporting, creating and presenting work that is accessible, diverse, and respectful of our practitioners and our audience; and
- maintaining the highest standards of professionalism and integrity.
We therefore asks all participating in our workshops, performances, networking and social events to commit to these principles, to respect each other and our audience, and to maintain professionalism and integrity. We are all ambassadors of our community and should behave accordingly.
- We are dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body type, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of workshop participants or company members in any form.
- All communication should be appropriate for a professional audience including people of many different backgrounds and should abide by UAE laws and respect the UAE culture. Racism, religious subject matter, references to sexuality, sex, terrorism and the occupied territories are deemed unacceptable, as is nudity, kissing, or sexual gestures on stage. This applies both to performance and teaching. We are aware that you are working in the moment and that sometimes inappropriate things come out (especially in workshops), and sometimes audience suggestions will be less than savoury. We trust that you will use your professional judgement as teachers and performers to ensure the work we present does not become inappropriate or harmful. Remember, you are not obliged to accept audience suggestions that do not inspire you or that will lead to work that falls outside of these guidelines.
- Be kind to others. Do not insult or put down other attendees. Behave professionally. Remember that harassment and sexist, racist, or exclusionary jokes are not appropriate for The Courtyard Playhouse, both onstage and off.
- When onsite at the Courtyard Playhouse please attend safety briefings where relevant, adhere to all safety guidelines, and follow any and all instructions given by venue management and staff. Respect that we are not a licensed venue, so no alcohol is permitted on site. Be on time and prepared for shows, call times, and workshops. Respect the facilities. Report any hazards or accidents promptly and honestly. Be a good neighbour. Make the Playhouse look good.
- If you would like to report or discuss any situations such as above, you have several ports of call: Kylie, Georgia, Kemsley or your own director or teacher. Any of the Playhouse team will assist in the short term. All discussions will be kept confidential unless otherwise agreed. You are welcome to include a support person at any stage.
- Consequences for breaching the Code of Conduct will be commensurate with the severity of the situation, and may include: apologies to affected parties, fines where financial loss has been incurred, exclusion from events, removal from the workshop without refund, and being asked not to return in future. All decisions with regards to such situations are at the sole discretion of the Courtyard Playhouse.
- The Courtyard Playhouse will not be liable for any legal or state action action taken against a performer or participant due to inappropriate behaviour or language.
Thank you for helping make this a welcoming, friendly theatre for all.