Top tips for learning and teaching Keith Johnstone’s He Said, She Said exercise.
- Begin with any three word sentence –don’t judge it; just say it! ‘Hello Big Boy’, ‘There’s the car!’, ‘Pass the scissors’
- Go very slowly whilst learning and try to establish what’s going on, rather than being silly i.e ‘he said smashing an egg on his head’ for the first direction. Slowly and sensibly whilst you learn the mechanics of the game.
- Try not to offer stage directions that have already happened – instead give your partner something physical to do in the future: She said crying, she said coming towards me, she said snapping the roses one by one.
- Keep dialogue and directions succinct.
- Connect with your partner.